This here is the Sony SmartWatch 3. That might make it sound like it’s the third iteration in a line of gadgets, but really, it’s the first. That’s because even though this is Sony’s third smartwatch, it’s actually Sony’s first that comes with Android Wear. The SmartWatch 3 has arrived remarkably late to the party, letting rivals like Motorola, LG and Samsung gain ground. On the other hand, the SmartWatch 3 is currently the only Android Wear option with a built-in GPS radio, allowing for more precise workout tracking. Which, as it turns out, could be enough to help Sony stand apart from the pack.
- Built-in GPS is ideal for runners and other athletes
- WiFi and NFC make this more future-proof than other Android Wear devices
- Relatively long battery life
- Display is easy to read in direct sunlight
- Drab design
- Screen isn’t as vibrant as on some other smartwatches
- Not many Android Wear apps currently make use of the GPS, WiFi or NFC
Sony’s latest smartwatch won’t be for everyone, what with its dull design and muted screen. Still, this is currently the only Android Wear device with a built-in GPS radio, making it a smart choice for runners and other athletes interested in tracking their pace and distance.